Digital Marketing Statistics
Table of Contents
Last Updated: 18 November 2021
This is a place to find all of our latest digital marketing statistics and information in an easy-to read format. We will also be posting any announcements or updates about nifty new things going on here, so check back often!
The world of SEO is a constantly changing one, with new trends and updates coming out every day. These are the most interesting facts we could find from all those changes!
- The way you find what your looking for has changed dramatically with online marketing – 68% of all web searches start there!
- Only a tiny fraction of Google searchers click on results from the second page, with only 0.78% clicking and making an actual purchase or taking some other action after seeing those pages.
- Organic search traffic is 53.3% of all website visits, which means that if you have a site with the right keywords in it then your chances are high for success!
- The internet couldn’t exist without Google. 92% of global traffic comes from the search engine, images and maps on their website!
- One study found that SEO drives 1000% more people than organic channels for sharing content, which is why you should always focus your efforts on improving these rankings if they’re not already great!
- 7 out 10 people do their research by typing four words or more into a search engine!
- 60% of marketers say that inbound SEO is their highest quality source for leads, while blog content and social media are also incredibly valuable tools.
- With a 14.6% conversion rate, SEO leads have the highest closing rates among all of our offers and it’s possible they could make up 25% or more your total sales volume per month!
It’s important to rank high on Google because people will find you that way; but how do we get top-tier results? Here are some stats about ranking well on Google:
- The top-ranking page gets the most search traffic only 49% of the time. What does this mean? It means that for every two online shoppers who land on a site through their Google results, one will be directed to the top website and another may not visit at all!
- Only 5.7% of pages will rank in the top 10 search results within a year or less!
- 26.3% of top-ranking pages have no meta description at all!
- 40.61% of pages have meta descriptions that truncate.
- Google seems to be willing to show meta descriptions only 37.22% of the time, but they’re even more sparing with fat-head keywords and long tail phrases than typical key word variations! The average level at which Google displays these different types varies significantly – 38% for “fat head” terms versus 34% for “long Tail”.
- To put this in perspective, 90.63% of pages have no organic search traffic from Google!
- The average top-ranking page also ranks in the top 10 search results for nearly 1,000 other relevant keywords. This means that people are searching and they will find your website when you’re on there!
- The average page in the top 10 is about 2 years old, and those pages with higher Google rankings tend even older than that.
- The researchers found out that 66% of pages had no links, but only 26 percent were from 2014 or earlier – indicating it’s time for marketers and webmasters alike to start paying attention!
- It’s been found that the number of backlinks a website gets is directly related to its ranking. A top-ranking page can expect at least +5%-14% per month.
- According to Google’s research, the more backlinks you have on your website and pages throughout the site, then it will be ranked higher in search engine rankings.
- Buying a link is an expensive proposition, with the average cost being $361.44. Typically this means you’ll have to cough up some cash for it!
- Guest posts are a great way to attract new readers and spice up your website, but they can be expensive. The average cost of publishing one guest post is $77.80!
- 73.6% of domains have reciprocal links, meaning that some of the sites they link to also link back and forth between them as well!
- 43.7% of the top-ranking pages have some reciprocal links.
Most SEO campaigns begin with keyword research. Here are some stats about how people are searching on Google.
- Only about 8 out of 10 keywords get ten monthly searches or fewer.
- Only 0.42% of search queries result in over 100 visits per month!
- New research has shown that 70.87% of keywords with more than 10,000 monthly searches consist simply one or two words and not much else!
- 13.53% of keywords with ten searches per month or fewer consist of only one or two words.
- Around 8% of search queries are phrased as questions.
- 60.67% of all searches are conducted by 0.16% of the most popular keywords!
- Sources: Ahrefs and Moz.
SEO industry statistics
How much do SEO professionals charge for their services? Are you charging higher or lower than the average? Let’s look at the marketing statistics.
- 74.71% of SEOs charge a monthly retainer fee for their clients.
- For monthly retainers, $501-$1,000 per month is the most popular pricing tier.
- For hourly pricing, $100-$150 per hour is the most popular pricing tier.
- For per-project pricing, $501-$1,000 is the most popular pricing tier.
- 88.28% of SEOs charge $150/hour or less for their services.
- On average, SEOs who’ve been in business for 2+ years charge 39.4% more per hour, 102.41% more for monthly retainers, and a 275% more for one-off projects than those who’ve been in business for fewer than two years.
- On average, SEOs serving the worldwide market charge 130.74% more than those serving the local market for monthly retainers.
Search engine statistics
As SEOs, it is important to understand where search engines are right now—and where they’re going.
- 12.29% of search queries have featured snippets in their search results.
- The #1 result in Google’s organic search results has an average CTR of 31.7%.
- There are an estimated 3.5 billion searches on Google each day.
- 39% of purchasers are influenced by a relevant search.
- 61.5% of desktop searches and 34.4% of mobile searches result in no-clicks.
Local SEO statistics
If you serve customers locally, you should focus on improving your local search presence so more people can find you. These stats show the importance of good local SEO.
- 30% of all mobile searches are related to location.
- 76% of people who search on their smartphones for something nearby visit a business within a day.
- 28% of searches for something nearby result in a purchase.
- Yelp appears in the top five search results for 92% of Google web queries that include a city and business category.
- 54% of smartphone users search for business hours and 53% search for directions to a local store.
- About 45% of global shoppers buy online and then pick up in-store.
- “Where to buy” + “near me” mobile queries have grown by over 200% from 2017–2019.
- Mobile searches for “store open near me” (e.g., “grocery store open near me”) have grown by over 250% from 2017–2019.
- Mobile searches for “on-sale” + “near me” (e.g., “tires on sale near me”) have grown by over 250% YOY from 2017–2019.
Video SEO statistics
We’ve had great success driving customers using video marketing. Are you doing it too? If not, these statistics might surprise you.
- Video is the #1 form of media used in content strategy, overtaking blogs and infographics.
- The number of comments, views, shares, and ‘likes’ had a strong correlation with higher YouTube rankings.
- 68.2% of first-page YouTube results are HD videos.
- The average length of a first-page YouTube video is 14 minutes, 50 seconds.
Mobile SEO statistics
- 52.2% of all website traffic worldwide comes from mobile phones.
- There are more searches on mobile than on desktop.
- 51% of smartphone users have discovered a new company or product when conducting a search on their smartphones.
- On average, ranking in position #1 on mobile gets you 27.7% of the clicks, whereas ranking in position #1 on desktop gets you 19.3% of the clicks.
Voice search statistics
- 40.7% of all voice search answers come from a featured snippet.
- The typical voice search result is only 29 words in length.
- Approximately 75% of voice search results rank in the top 3 for that query.
- The average reading level of a voice search result is 9th grade.
- Websites with strong ‘link authority’ tend to rank well in voice search. In fact, the average Domain Rating of a Google Home result is 76.8.
- 48% of consumers are using voice for “general web searches.”
Email marketing statistics
- There are 3.9 billion daily email users. This number is expected to climb to 4.3 billion by 2023.
- Active email accounts surpassed 5.6 billion in 2019.
- Marketers who used segmented campaigns noted as much as a 760% increase in revenue.
- 35% of marketers send their customers 3-5 emails per week.
- 78% of marketers have seen an increase in email engagement over the last 12 months.
- 31% of B2B marketers say email newsletters are the best way to nurture leads.
- The U.S. spent over 350 million dollars on email advertising in 2019.
B2B Email Marketing Statistics
- 81% of B2B marketers say their most used form of content marketing is email newsletters.
- 16% of all emails never make it into the inbox.
- 87% of B2B marketers say email is one of their top free organic distribution channels.
- 90% of content marketers say email engagement is the top metric they track to measure content performance.The second-most common technology B2B organizations use to assist with content marketing is mail marketing software. Roughly 85% of marketers say they work with these tools.
Mobile Email Marketing Statistics
- 35% of business professionals check email on a mobile device.
- Apple iPhone is the most popular mobile client for reading emails with 29% of all opens occurring on this platform. Gmail is a close runner-up at 27%.
B2C Email Marketing Statistics
- 80% of business professionals believe that email marketing increases customer retention.
- 59% of respondents say marketing emails influence their purchase decisions.
- The most opened emails relate to hobbies, with an open rate of 27.35%.
- 59% of marketers say email is their biggest source of ROI.
Social media digital marketing statistics
- Nearly 50% of the world’s population uses social media. That’s over 3 billion users worldwide.
- In 2019, 90.4% of Millennials, 77.5% of Generation X, and 48.2% of Baby Boomers were active social media users.
- 54% of social browsers use social media to research products.
- Each person spends an average of 2 hours and 22 minutes on social networks and messaging.
- 321 million new people joined social media in 2019, which brought the total from 3.48 billion to 3.8 billion social media users (an increase of 9%) in 2020.
- Millennials are logged on to social media for an average of two hours and 38 minutes daily while Gen Z logs on for two hours and 55 minutes.
- Facebook usage among teens is dropping gradually according to the latest social media statistics. While 71% of teens claimed to use the platform in 2015, the number has now dropped to 51%.
- 68% of Americans use Facebook.
- 74% of Facebook users check it daily.
- Most people access Facebook around eight times each day.
- 96% of Facebook users access it on mobile.
- If your Facebook ads contain images, then they will be between 75% and 90% more effective.
- 93% of social media advertisers use Facebook ads on a regular basis.
- At least 3% of Facebook profiles are fake.
- The best time to post on Facebook is weekdays between 10 a.m. and 3 p.m. Wednesday is the best day to post while Sundays show the least traffic.
- .6% of marketers use Facebook video ads.
- Facebook Stories has 500 million daily viewers.
- With 36% of viewers watching political Story content, politics is the top-Facebook Stories topic.
- Video promotions are equally as important as photo promotions.
- 81% of businesses prefer video marketing on Facebook.
- Twitter has more than 330 million monthly active users.
- In Q3 of 2019, Twitter had more than 145 million monetizable daily active users — a 17% YoY growth.
- Twitter’s 2019 Q3 revenue was $824 million, or 9% higher than Q3 in 2018.
- 22% of adults in the U.S. use Twitter, down from 24% in 2018.
- Link clicks account for 92% of all user interaction with tweets.
- 83% of the people who sent a Tweet to a company and received a response, felt better about the company and were more likely to do business with them.
- Only 3% of Tweets about customer service issues call out the company’s username with the @ symbol.
- People are 31% more likely to recall what they saw on Twitter vs. general online browsing.
- 53% of users say they bought a product they first saw on Twitter.
- Twitter ads are 11% more effective than TV ads during live events.
- The best times to post on Twitter are Wednesdays at 9am and Fridays at 9am. The best days to post are Tuesday and Wednesday, while Saturday sees the least engagement.
- As of late 2019, Instagram has 1 billion monthly active users, and 500 million of them use it daily.
- Instagram continues to attract a younger audience with 72% of teens saying that they use the platform.
- 64% of Instagram users are under the age of 34.
- Ad spending on Instagram is 23% higher than on Facebook according to an internal analysis by Merkle.
- Videos get 21.2% more interactions compared to images and 18.6% more interactions compared to carousels.
- 71% of US businesses use Instagram. It surpassed Twitter in business users in 2017.
- The best times to post on Instagram are Wednesday at 11am and Friday from 10-11am. Wednesday is the overall best day to post while Sunday sees the least amount of engagement.
- Between 2016 and 2020, eMarketer estimates Instagram added 26.9 million users — almost double the incremental users expected for Twitter, and far more than any other social platform tracked.
- In 2019, an estimated 25% of Facebook’s total ad revenue came from Instagram. By the end of 2020, Instagram’s share of that revenue will grow to 30% globally.
- LinkedIn has more than 690 million active users.
- In Q1 of 2020, LinkedIn sessions increased 22 percent year-over-year.
- In Q2 of 2020, LinkedIn revenue increased 21 percent year-over-year.
- In 2019, LinkedIn made more than 6.8 billion in revenue.
- Marketing Solutions is LinkedIn’s fastest-growing segment. It grew 44 percent year-over-year in Q1.
- LinkedIn received 30 billion sessions from its members in 2019. This was a year-over-year increase of 27 percent.
- In 2019, LinkedIn was voted the most trusted network.
- 80% of social media B2B leads come from LinkedIn.
- Over 46% of all social media traffic to company websites comes from LinkedIn.
- The best times to post on LinkedIn are Wednesdays from 9-10 a.m. and 12 p.m. The best day for posting is Wednesday and the day with the least engagement is Sunday.
- YouTube is the second-largest search engine globally.
- YouTube is the preferred form of social media marketing worldwide. 83% of all consumers prefer it.
- 54% of all people want marketers to put out more video content, and this is an excellent place to begin.
- Most of YouTube’s user base is male. The ratio is 55% men to 45% women.
- On mobile devices alone, YouTube reaches more adults aged 18 to 49 during prime time than any cable network does in an average week.
- 75% of adults report watching YouTube on their mobile devices.
- More than 70% of YouTube watch time is generated from mobile devices.
- 96% of all teens in the United States use YouTube.
- According to a leaked advertising pitch deck from October 2019, TikTok reports having 800 million monthly active users worldwide.
- Douyin, TikTok’s original standalone app in China, had 300 million users at the time Musical.ly merged with TikTok.
- In early 2019, TikTok was the third-most downloaded app globally.
- By February 2019, TikTok hit 1 billion downloads, beating Instagram and Facebook in app stores.
- Roughly 50% of TikTok’s global audience is under the age of 34 with 26% between 18 and 24.
- Just over one in eight adults have joined TikTok.
- 56% of TikTok users are male.
- Between 2017 and 2019 Reddit grew from 330 million monthly active users to 430 million.
- The site receives more than 21 billion monthly screen views.
- While Reddit was reportedly sold for between $10-$20 million, the company’s valuation grew to 1.8 billion after 2017 funding rounds.
- Reddit is predominantly male. 15% of male internet users between 18 to 29 say they use Reddit.
- Only 10% of female internet users under 50 say they use Reddit.
Video digital marketing statistics
- Videos attach 300% more traffic and help to nurture leads.
- A website is 53 times more likely to reach the front page of Google if it includes video.
- Including a video on your landing page can boost your conversion rate by up to 80%.
- Nearly 50% of internet users look for videos related to a product or service before visiting a store.
- Video increases organic search traffic on a website by 157%.
- 25% of companies publish videos every week.
- 85% of consumers want to see more video content from brands.
- 65% of executives have gone to the marketer’s site and 39% have called them on the phone after watching a marketing video.
- 97% of marketers say video has helped users gain a better understanding of their products and services.
- 52% of marketers say video is the type of content with the best ROI.
- Adding video to your emails can increase click rates by 300%.
- 50% of viewers aged 18-34 said they would stop what they were doing to watch a video from their favourite creator.
- On average, people spend 2.6x more time on pages with video than without.
- 64% of consumers will make a purchase after watching branded videos on social platforms.
- Video is expected to make up 82% of internet traffic by 2021.
- YouTube video kills it with over five billion views every day
If you’ve gotten this far, well done you! And thanks for reading our digital marketing statistics.